The parish organ at San Salvador de Galdar (in Gran Canaria) was built in 1912 by E.F.Walcker, one of the most important and innovative organ workshops of the time and the best exponent of that progressive spirit and stylistic change which moved the organ from the Baroque period on into the Romantic period.
The note and stop action are both pneumatic and the instrument has not undergone any important changes. However, before restoration the organ was in very poor condition. All the important parts were badly eroded by xylophaga and the leather-- a vitally important material if a pneumatic organ is to work properly--was badly frayed. As a result, the instrument was practically unplayable.
A complete restoration, from top to bottom, was required if we were to return the organ to its original state. With careful and experienced maintenance work the instrument will undoubtedly be kept in good playing condition. Today, it is one of the few genuine examples of the German Romantic style, ideal for the performance of music from that period, such as Max Reger, among others.