We assume that this instrument was built between 1739-1741 by Manuel Bento Gomes Ferreira, one of the most representative artisans in 18th century Portuguese organ building. Although he was born in Valladolid and was well-acquainted with Castilian organ building traditions and techniques, as we can see by his early work, after he moved to Portugal, he embraced and developed the peculiarities of his adopted country.
Although the centuries have come and gone. and considering the fact that it is in constant use, and that it has undergone a number of repairs down through the years, the organ had not lost its original essence. It still had most of the original pipework- and that was in very good condition-and along with the action, nothing had been altered in any important way. The organs sound had apparently not been changed.
The pipework is on two levels. This was problematic to a certain extent, especially when it came to restoring the wind system thats sends air to the pipes. Apart from this, a good deal of time had to be spent on restoring other parts of the organ that directly affect the instruments musical response. Here we have a complete restoration of, what was up to now a sadly forgotten and largely unknown instrument.
This organ helped us get some small idea of the enormous artistic wealth Portugal has to offer, and the high musical level it achieved, an achievement that many people enjoyed when they went to church. This was the goal of our work here, to bring a musical instrument back to life, as a living part of our heritage. And to encourage its use as a means for artistic re-creations.